Google
 

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Whipple Song

Today I sat through my fourth (yes 4th!!) Whipple procedure (Pancreaticoduodenectomy) in 2 weeks. I don't know if I am spoiled or just lucky. Some other gensurg residents might call it lucky. Apparently at some school it is hard to assist or to even be present during a Whipple Procedure until well into your residencies. I can hear Dr. Turk yelling "What's a brother gotta do to get a Whipple around here?!" (Scrubs, Episode 23, Season 1). I guess it is a good thing to be at MUN.

Now some might think that I am bragging about this. Think the opposite. What is it like to be present during a Whipple procedure. A procedure that takes up to 6 hours to complete. Especially when the person (me) is not really interested in doing general surgery for the rest of their lives. Well I wrote a little song to help you to understand. Believe me, as the least trained individual in the room, I had plenty of time for my mind to wander during the procedure. A Kelly is a clamp (Curved hemostat), Mets (Metzenbaums) are tissue scissors and ties are...well ties.

enjoy
Aaron

The Whipple Song
Sing to the tune of “Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy” by Ren & Stimpy


Kelly, Kelly, Mets, Tie
Kelly, Kelly, Mets, Tie

Kelly, Kelly, Mets, Tie
Kelly, Kelly, Mets, Tie

Kelly, Kelly, Mets, Tie
Kelly, Kelly, Mets, Tie

Kelly, Kelly, Mets, Tie, Tie


PS - I am not complaining and I would like to thank my team for letting me be part of all the crazy surgeries that they do (Whipple's, APR's, Right Hemicolectomies etc etc etc.) I do enjoy surgery, I am just not going to be a general surgeon. However, I did enjoy cutting the giant sebaceous cyst out of that dudes back last week. I used steel to heal baby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home