Google
 

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Such a Sellout

I have a Community Health Paper (we call it Commie Health) abstract due today. It is based on public health and how a physician should act in a disaster situation. I thought this was a great time to have some fun so i took this project and ran with it. I created this scenario for my project and did it up right good. Tell me what you think?

"It is the year 2020 and the entrenched William’s Government has signed the most controversial, exclusive and lucrative natural resources deal in the history of Newfoundland. They have sold the rights to all of Newfoundland’s fresh water to China. The world is a different place in 2020 and China has become the largest superpower in the world. However, their population has grown to 3 billion and it’s people are water starved and it’s society can not survive without imported fresh water. Newfoundland is the last remaining resource on earth that is not polluted or already sold. The deal looks good for both sides.

However, there exists an international terrorist organization named Downwithchina (DWC), that wishes to bring the red giant to it’s knees. The DWC has found out about this deal and in tern has poisoned all of Newfoundland’s fresh water resources in a bid to cut off China from obtaining this powerful resource. The water is not drinkable and is unusable in any other way. The act of terrorism is successful as China is no longer able to use any of the water in Newfoundland and has backed out of the deal. However at the same time, this has left all of the inhabitants of Newfoundland with no usable fresh water.

The Williams Government, being wise in their old age, began stockpiling fresh water as soon as the deal with China was signed. However they were only able to store a small amount of fresh drinking water before the attack occurred. There is only enough to last the population a few days. A public health crisis is looming. Newfoundland has been living in isolation form the rest of the world since becoming independent from Canada in 2008. As a result, there has been no influx of new technology to the island country and they have to rely on technology developed in 2007 to help deal with this problem."

However I sent it to my prof and she said it was outside the guidelines for the paper. she said it was interesting but would be hard to get to work in the context of this paper and the lit search would be a bitch. So i coped out. I sold out. I went with Hurricane Katrina. simple and boring. I couldn't get it to work. I didn't have the time to make it work.
I loath myself

AK

PS -IMPORTANT _ Please note that this is a fake scenario taking place in the year 2020. IT IS NOT REAL! DO NOT REPORT IT TO YOUR LOCAL AUTHORITIES. NOT REAL! FICTION!

2 Comments:

Blogger incidental findings said...

I don't think I've ever heard Katrina referred to as simple and boring before... ;)

February 01, 2007 12:09 a.m.  
Blogger The Sneaky Dog said...

Yes, I do believe this was a bad choice of words on my part.

February 01, 2007 8:19 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home